Now some of you vegan pros might already know the answer to this question. But for many people joining the cruelty free movement knowing things like what your vegan purse is made of isn’t commonly understood. It’s hard to keep track of all the cruelty free rules!! Knowing details like this about your lifestyle will help you to inspire and educate others on alternatives to their favorite products.
So for those of you that want to show off your new Vegan Purse, maybe even one of the adorable ones we blogged about for fall (wink wink), now you can proudly say what it is made out of. Nothing is worse than telling someone they shouldn’t carry a leather bag if you can’t explain why or point them toward alternative.
So what is vegan leather?
- Vegetan: This is a microfibre material that is specifically designed and used as an animal-friendly leather substitute.
- Lorica: a type of artificial leather patented and manufactured by the Italian company Lorica Sud.
- Birko-Flor: This is what the #Rawxstars at Birkenstock use. It’s made out of acrylic and polyamide felt fibres. There are two kinds that look like typical birkenstocks and also leather that looks more like ‘pleather.’
- Birkibuc: Another Birkenstock baby. It’s made out of the same stuff, but looks and feels like nubuck leather. It is made of acrylic and polyamide felt fibers, this material offers a textured finish that looks and feels like velvety nubuck.
- PVC: Finally, a term you should be familiar with! Good for animals. Not so good for environment, so not highly suggested.
- Kydex: This is an acrylic-PVC alloy. Kydex, put simply, is a thermoplastic sheet which can be molded to form-fit nearly any shape.
There are many factors to picking a vegan leather material. If you’re like me, you think of cruelty free not only in terms of animals, but also how it affects the environment! Whether that means finding the least harmful leather or maybe even picking a material that suits both the earth and the animals that live on it. Things like paper, cork, and other recyclable items are always an option—get creative! (more bragging rights that way).
So instead of nagging your friend to stop hurting animals by purchasing all the leather purses, show them these alternatives. We can all be heroes simply by understanding what we consume
Happy shopping and thanks for making the world a cruelty free and beautiful place!