I’m pretty average when it comes to baking. So luckily for me, making a transition into using vegan recipes wasn’t too much of an ordeal. If you’re a baker, love cooking and have recipes that you swear by, this post is for you! I’ve compiled some vegan substitutes that will allow you to use your favorite recipes, but in vegan form.
- Soy milk, nut milk or rice milk can be substituted 1:1 with regular milk. My personal favorite is unsweetened Almond Milk. It is creamy and so tasty. No weird aftertaste and I’ve never noticed that my recipes taste different.
- Buttermilk: use 1 cup soy milk + 1 tsp apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice). Let the ingredients sit until they separate.
- Heavy Cream: put a can of coconut milk in the refrigerator for 2 days. Open and use the thick top layer in place of heavy cream.
- Apple Sauce: use 1/4 cup of applesauce for each egg the recipe calls for. This is a great way to cut down on the cholesterol as well.
- Flax Seeds: 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds + 3 tablespoons water (or liquid of choice). Wisk and let sit until gelatinous. (This can also be done with chia seeds).
- Banana: Mash up a heaping 1/4th cup of bananas to substitute for one egg. (That is about one medium sized banana mashed).
- Use 1/4 + 1 tblspoon olive oil per 1 cup of butter.
- Other substitutes include soy margarine and coconut butter.
Now that you have a cheat sheet there are no more excuses. Try these substitutes, tinker, add more if needed and you’ll see that your recipes are just as delicious (and healthier) than before. Happy baking!