DIY holiday gift ideas are everywhere this time of year but things can become boring pretty fast with the same old DIY recipes. If you’re tired of the same ole sugar scrub recipe and are interested in expanding your holiday DIY horizons then you’re in the right place. Our 2015 DIY holiday beauty ideas are a far cry from traditional and not only are they easy to create (win) they are super easy on the budget (double win). Read on for our recipes and don’t forget to package your creations with a pop of holiday style. Use rustic bows, handmade ornaments, and other beautiful adornments to compliment your beautiful creations.
Idea 1: Strawberry Tooth Paste
Everybody knows the perfect smile is very much a part of the overall beauty package and this strawberry toothpaste is awesome for the selfie obsessed beauty guru on your holiday gift list. Strawberries contain malic acid which is a natural enamel whitener so this is a definite winner to create a gift for the perfect smile.
Directions: Crush 1 strawberry to a pulp, mix ½ tablespoon baking soda. Pair with your favorite stylish toothbrush. Include a tag with these directions:
- Spread on your teeth using the beautiful toothbrush attached.
- Let rest on your teeth for 3-5 minutes, brush off, and rinse.
- Use once a week – More than that will damage the enamel on your teeth.
Idea 2: Holiday Aromatherapy Gift Kit
Create a holiday aromatherapy bundle to be enjoyed during at home facial sessions. This kit is also an amazing air freshener and is a welcome alternative to traditional air fresheners which have a myriad of ingredients that are potential irritants. There are tons of recipe variations my favorites for this time of year are Gingerbread: 5 1/4 inch slices of ginger, 1 tablespoon almond extract, 3 cinnamon sticks or Orange Creamsicle: 1 tablespoon vanilla, 1 sliced orange. Feel free to experiment with a variety of citrus fruits, extracts, and fresh herbs. Once you decide on the recipe create a kit as follows.
- Small 8oz bottle of water (Idea: Personalize the label with a holiday message)
- Include fruit, water, spices, extracts and herbs of your choice.
- Include a Direction Card with the following:
- Add cut fruits and place in water, add spices, extracts and herbs.
- Fill your pot with water (I use a small saucepan) 3/4 the way full, and boil.
- As soon as it reaches the boiling point, reduce to low heat and simmer.
- Allow scented vapor to travel throughout your home, changing the scent creating the perfect ambiance for a facial or other wellness experience.
Idea 3: Coffee Infused Almond Oil
Coffee is an ingredient used in many beauty products. It acts as a stimulant to revive dull tired skin and relieve under eye puffiness in eye creams. Coffee infused almond oil is a necessity for many eye creams, scrubs and soap recipes. This quick and easy recipe for coffee infused almond oil is a great gift for a fellow DIY beauty lover.
1 cup almond oil
¼ cup fresh, unused coffee grounds
- Heat oil and coffee in double boiler. On low heat for an hour
- Cool then strain and transfer to storage bottle.
- Use coffee infused oil in eye creams, body scrubs and soaps.
aka The Modern Minimalist