On Friday, I whipped up a batch of Lauren’s Lemon Lentil Soup and was so obsessed with it (insert exciting four-letter words here), that I decided to make another one-pot-meal – A play off of a Butternut Squash Risotto. Essentially, this is not a recipe, but rather a guideline – after all, pens and documentation are sometimes overrated…
Butternut Squash Quinoa Risotto
- 2 T coconut butter/oil
- 2 butternut squash bulbs, cubed (I saved the necks for spiralized noodles)
- Coarse ground sea salt and pepper
- 2 C quinoa
- 4 C vegetable broth
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- cumin, Italian seasoning, sage, paprika
- Melt 1 T coconut butter over medium heat. Add squash; season with salt and pepper. Cook, until edges soften, about 10 minutes.
- Add quinoa; stir to coat. Add veggie broth, seasonings and 1 T of coconut oil. Stir for about 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium low; add hot broth (boil broth before hand). Stir for another 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Garnish with
Making both of these meals this weekend, saved me a tremendous amount of time this week! What I did, was Sunday night I portioned out the soup and quinoa (I ended up mixing to two together), placed in 6 separate containers, and stuck in the freezer. Then , each night before heading to bed, I’d pull out a container and let it thaw overnight. This way, I was able to take my lunch to work without having to hassle with morning prep work. What’s even better, is the soup/quinoa that I didn’t portion out, made a great addition to Polo’s dog food – And, he loves it! I also made Polo a batch of steamed vegetables last night with fresh organic coconut oil. Yes, he’s spoiled.